The building contains one of the finest examples of a ”Cornish Style’ beam engines built by Jonah and George Davies of Tipton, therefore was an integral to the industrial development of the area.
Sandfields Pumping Station was built in 1852 to supply clean water to the Back Country because ‘The natural sources of water have mostly failed and been diminished by reason of the mining operations carried on in the parish and neighbourhood’. The waterworks supplied water to Wednesbury Tipton, Kingswinford, Bilston, Darlaston, Oldbury, Sedgley, Stourbridge and Rowley to name but a few.
The waterworks is now redundant, and the land was sold to a developer in 2003 who now owns the building and engine. The building and the engine have listed status….