Our aims and objectives are to preserve and retain as much as the 1960 building as possible. After all it is a part of the story of clean water. We also have to remind ourselves that the overall all objective of the team is to preserve the whole site for the benefit of the wider community by bringing the building back into reuse.
Disused empty building deteriorates quickly and are a blight on the community. Unused it is a loose loose.
To bring our 1060’s building back into reuse, we need to utilise the space by removing the redundant electric pump plinths and making safe the wells. The electric pumps were removed by South Staffs Water around 1995. Unfortunate, the concrete mounting plinths were left in place making the useable space useless.
To compound the problems, the wells were covered in such a way that a trip hazard was created, again making the useable space useless.
Removing these reinforced hight density concrete plinths and capping the wells is both a technically challenging and physically demanding piece of work. One of the most difficult pieces of work we have faced so far. Fortunately, our teams are always up for a technical challenge and never shy away for hard graft.
There is no quick solution to the plinth removal, they are reinforced high density concrete. The only way to remove them safely without causing damage to other parts of the building is to physically chisel then off and to cart away the tonnes of rubble produced by hand.
Here we go….